Pack your bags-it’s time for a much-needed vacation to a busy city with sights to explore, history to absorb, and tastes to enjoy. Whether you are traveling solo, with family, or with friends, you will find something that will attract you to Kansas City.
The city is known for its memorials and installations, murals, and sculptures that will leave you in awe; it also hosts an array of museums, zoos, and exhibits. It’s a favorite destination among travelers because it’s a relatively inexpensive place to visit, but there’s no shortage of things to do and places to see. Finally, Kansas City is a paradise for food lovers, especially those who love authentic BBQ and comfort food.
Considering a trip to the Kansas City area? Here’s everything you need to check off your list while planning and exploring the city:
Site-Seeing and Attractions
There are plenty of things to see when in Kansas City, and the best way to explore is to take guided tours of the distinct neighborhoods and landmarks. This Kansas City neighborhood guide describes the unique characteristics of each neighborhood, including the downtown area, the arts district, jazz district, and local markets.
Alternatively, you can make your itinerary and visit some famous museums and other sites on your own. Some of the popular destinations that you shouldn’t miss include:
- National WWI Museum and Memorial– Standing tall along the city skyline are the most notable Kansas City landmark-The National WWI Museum and Memorial.
- Rosedale Memorial Arch– If you’re an architecture admirer, you have to visit the arch and the adjoining green spaces.
- 18th & Vine Historic Jazz District– Check out Charlie “Bird” Parker’s 17-foot bronze sculpture and the old stomping grounds in this historic jazz district.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art– Also known as the Sculpture Park, is a kind of a museum where you will find everything larger than life-size-right from shuttlecocks to a cast of Rodin’s The Thinker.
- Kansas City Zoo– The Kansas City Zoo is one of the most beloved zoos in the United States. It recently received a facelift, and you’ll enjoy the expanded seating and viewing area where you can sit and watch the elephants.
- Museum at Prairiefire– A short drive away is the Museum at Prairiefire, which is as eye-catching on the outside as it is enlightening on the inside.
Bars and Restaurants
Research some of the most famous Kansas City bars and restaurants before heading out on your vacation. Whether you’re an absolute foodie or a picky eater, Kansas City will not disappoint.
For example, you can check out The Antler Room, a mid-century chic Midtown restaurant that is known for its signature dish, cauliflower with miso, and sunflower seed hummus. For steak lovers, Hereford House is the place to visit. For an elaborate weekend brunch, drop by Burnt End Hash at Rye.
In case you want to pick up a souvenir to take back home or for a friend, visit the small local shops with unique curated knick-knacks. For example, Made in KC does an excellent job selling local gourmet products, candles, Kansas City t-shirts for every team, coffee beans, mugs, accessories, etc. To pick up sportswear at a reasonable price, visit the Rally House Plaza.
A bad hotel experience can put a damper on an otherwise enjoyable trip. After a long day of sightseeing, you’ll likely feel exhausted, ready to recharge for the next day.
While visiting Kansas City, you don’t have to spend a fortune for quality accommodations. While there are numerous luxury hotels located downtown, you also have the option of staying at any of the top-rated hotels in Lenexa, KS, to save some money without straying too far outside the city.
Embracing Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri, which is often regarded as one of the greatest cities in the country, is renowned for its amazing cultural scene, top-tier colleges, reasonably priced housing, and delectable barbeque. Additionally, if you enjoy visiting historical sites and museums, it can be the ideal location for you to settle down. The major reason why so many individuals relocate to Kansas City with the aid of movers in overland park or elsewhere is likely the area’s affordability.
Kansas City has a lot to offer to its travelers. From famous landmarks, rich history, gourmet dining, and just roaming around, the city won’t let you down. If you’re looking for an affordable travel destination with endless activities and delicious dining, consider Kansas City.